rwp-banner


Sheltons Organic Turkey

if I empty out all the unimportant stuff here, maybe there'll be more room in my head for important things


name: shelton brett
location: western u.s.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Something to consider

The Chronicle article of how blogs may negatively effect how people on job search committees think about you:
http://chronicle.com/jobs/2005/07/2005070801c.htm

My first reaction is that people like the author, Ivan Tribble (a pseudonym), don't really understand blogging and what people use blogs for. But on closer consideration, I guess whatever people write can be considered to say something about them, even if it's in jest, or creative, or whatever. Should you hold negative things against them? I wouldn't if I was on their search committee. But can you help but be influenced by some of what is written? It's a valid point, and something I should maybe think more about. Perhaps I should take greater care to keep my anonymity. Feels a little like the academic freedom walls are closing in a little tighter.