rwp-banner


Sheltons Organic Turkey

if I empty out all the unimportant stuff here, maybe there'll be more room in my head for important things


name: shelton brett
location: western u.s.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Katy's recommendations

A longtime friend recently gave me some reading recommendations that I thought I'd share. She knows a good book, believe me:

Derrick Jensen -- "Walking on Water" "Language Older Than Words" "Culture of Make-Believe" Katy says: Not for the faint of heart, and definitely not light reading.

Zac Unger -- "Working Fire" Katy says: ...very true and funny.

Mary Roach
-- "Stiff: The hidden life of the human cadaver" Katy says: I found [it] compelling and strangely addictive.

Katy says: My fiction tastes have run toward women writers
lately-- Sue Monk Kidd and Alice Sebold. If you're interested in poetry, try Dorianne Laux or her husband, Joe Millar. Both excellent Eugene poets, widely published. I bet you'd like Millar's "Overtime."

Annie Dillard -- "Holy the Firm" Katy says: ...a great book of essays- I
love her attention to detail and her ability to make the mundane sacred.

EDIT: She offers a few more...
"Sparrow" and "Children of God" by Mary Doria Russell
"Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger, Katy says: One I'd put up there with my all time faves like Duncan's "Brothers K" and "River Why," as well as "To Kill a Mockingbird."

There you have it!