rwp-banner


Sheltons Organic Turkey

if I empty out all the unimportant stuff here, maybe there'll be more room in my head for important things


name: shelton brett
location: western u.s.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

coffee is for closers

We now have one of the (sigh) national coffee chains in the small town where I live, and I reluctantly admit that I'm not only a user of their services, I really like them. I know when I lived in Seattle it was extremely hip to throw your nose in the air and walk swiftly pass the Starbucks and into the local mom-and-pop place to support the little guy. And usually, the coffee was better anyway.

Now, after having lived so long in a place where the little guy coffee is marginal and inconsistent, I admit to looking forward to driving to the green and white lettering and ploppoing down $5.95 for my Big Mac of coffees. Yes, a little piece of me cringes, but when that consistent, perfect temperature of soy chai latte (venti, of course) slides down my throat, the guilt is washed away. Yum. Well, almost all the guilt.

But isn't this picture great? "Put that coffee down. Coffee is for closers." I think it was this turn as the corporate pusher in Glengarry Glen Ross that Alec Baldwin really took hold as a great scene-stealer. Sure we loved him in Malice, but really, when did he become this great comedic talent? He stole the movie in Along Came Polly and watching him in SNL is fantastic. Anyway, I suggest that when you watch Glengarry Glen Ross you don't accidently leave your outdoor speakers on, set at "11." And definitely not in rural Utah (thanks for the story, Quinton).