rwp-banner


Sheltons Organic Turkey

if I empty out all the unimportant stuff here, maybe there'll be more room in my head for important things


name: shelton brett
location: western u.s.

Friday, August 05, 2005

my recurrent nightmares

So, what's the deal with nightmares? Not supposed to get them when you're an adult, right? Well, I admit that I rarely wake up "screaming" like I might have as a child, but I still get them. Often. Most of the ones I remember have to do with not being able to protect a loved one, or seeing a loved one being killed. Who gets killed varies from close relative to good friend, and normally I don't see it coming. As in, we're enjoying a nice afternoon snowskiing or something, and all of a sudden I see my best buddy go over a cliff. That sudden, like I didn't even know it was going to happen. The worst are when someone is getting hurt (like being attacked) and I'm trying to reach them, but can't run fast enough. That happens a lot.

But that's just one example of a nightmare that I get. Sometimes just scary things are happening. Sometimes everything's normal but just a little bit "off," if that makes any sense. Some people I know admit to having a nightmare every once in a while, but I don't think they have them regularly like I do. So here's the most recent theories people have offered: I watch too many scary movies; I eat too late at night; I go to bed too late; I go to bed too early; it's too hot in my bedroom; I'm too stressed out; I'm a control freak. The last two reasons sound a little too psychobabblish to me. Most of the dream research I've looked at is very unscientific and relies mostly on unproven theory. I just wish they'd stop.

For an interesting idea on how to quell the nightmares, check out this Straight Dope article from Cecil Adams.