rwp-banner


Sheltons Organic Turkey

if I empty out all the unimportant stuff here, maybe there'll be more room in my head for important things


name: shelton brett
location: western u.s.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Delara's thoughts on Crash

So, this isn't really a new post, but a friend recently saw Crash for the first time and so I revisited what Delara posted about it. There was a lot of interesting responses to her post, the most boring of which was mine:

You know, I've actually thought about this a bit based on what Don Cheadle's character said, and this is a regional thing (cultural influences interlaced throughout, for sure) as much as anything else. I grew up in the western U.S., and the attitude here is most definitely, "I need my personal space," which may or may not have something to do with originating from that whole pioneer cowboy thing. But space is something that is important to me, and when other people invade that space it goes beyond uncomfortable, it's assaulting. It makes me mad. And I consider myself a friendly people-person, this is something different. People have different personal boundaries in verbal exchanges that I associate with different regions too, and since I travel a bit (as do you, D :) ) this manifests itself all over the place. When I lived in the midwest, I often felt affronted the way people approached me. NY? Forgeddaboutit. In an informal unscientific poll, the other westerners who work with me also perceive this difference. So I was thinking the opposite of what Don Cheadle's character was, that this invasion of space was the root of the problem, rather than the lack of shared space. I know this wasn't the point of your post, btw, but thanks for getting me thinking anyway.

Curious if anyone else has had similar experiences to mine, or if they agree with the thought that Don's character expresses: avoiding each other leads to confrontation.